County commissioners extend disaster declaration, fund $10,000 for local emergency food relief programs

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

County commissioners extend disaster declaration, fund $10,000 for local emergency food relief programs

Posted in:
In-page image(s)
Body

Hemphill County Commissioners on Monday approved the extension of Judge George Briant’s declaration—issued last Wednesday—of a public health emergency declaration due to the spread of COVID-19.

The court met via Zoom to address an abbreviated emergency agenda, at the top of which was continuation of the disaster declaration.

“I’d like to say that before I took it on myself to issue this declaration,” Judge Briant said, “I was the last one in the 26 counties of the Panhandle to do that.”

Briant said while he felt that Gov. Abbott’s declaration sufficed, “I wanted to make sure local businesses could apply for emergency assistance and loans.”

“I tried my best to draft this in a manner that is not detrimental to any more of our local businesses than have been severely impacted by this disease already,” Briant said. “My priority has to be to the public health and safety.”

Briant said he meets regularly with other elected officials, healthcare providers, and emergency management personnel. “We monitor the situation hourly and are prepared to do more should we have to,” he said.

Commissioner Curt McPherson suggested that the court revisit the declaration if there are more confirmed COVID-19 cases in Hemphill County.

“That’s the thinking in the medical community right now,” Briant said. “A city or county can issue restictions more serious than the governor’s if we want to. They just can’t conflict.”

In a COVID-19 update to the court, Briant said he will continue meeting with local healthcare and city authorities, and will be notified if there are any additional confirmed COVID-19 cases. “We are all concerned about the businesses in this community,” he said. “God be with them. This is a tough, tough deal.”

Commissioner Tim Alexander said he believed this community has done a good job of observing social distancing and abiding by the recommendations.

“Absolutely,” said Briant. “I’m so proud to recognize that people in Hemphill County, in general, have abided by the orders of Gov. Abbott. So many have gone beyond those guidelines. I’m so proud of our community.”

“The whole community has been very proactive,” said McPherson. “The stores and restaurants have been wonderful.”

The court also approved budget amendments to divert $10,000 in discretionary funding from economic development to the High Plains Food Bank and the surplus food program administered by the First Christian Church. Each program provides essential food for local families in need and received an additional $5,000 in funding.

In the last distribution by the Food Bank, 35 families qualified for assistance and received 77 boxes of groceries. “They are getting more applications now,” Briant said, adding that while the church has not experienced higher demand, they believe it is imminent as more local businesses close and more employees are laid off.

“We aren’t beating up on the EDC,” Briant said, noting that there is $18,000 remaining in that budget. “It’s just the one that has extra in there now.”